Thursday, May 18, 2017

18 May 2017 - Whisk(e)y

I've been to the Jameson Distillery in Dublin, Ireland. There have been multiple tours (including Famous Grouse and the Scotch Whisky Experience) in and around Edinburgh, Scotland. I am pretty sure I have found my favorite in Scotland in the form of Glenfarclas 21 Year.






I am not much of a drinker(a bottle of whiskey or rum lasts me about 6-8 months) because I grew up around some serious alcoholics and had many negative childhood experiences. That being said, I think being able to enjoy a little bit is really important for a traveler. I honestly believe that you can't experience a culture without having a social drink or two. I also prefer to set my ego and my past aside and see what life has to offer.

About 8 years ago I had the pleasure of hiking the Hocking Hills Grandma Gatewood Trail with the amazing Cliff Bender and Brian Chin. At the end of the day we sat around the campfire and sipped either a good Rye, Scotch or Bourbon (I trusted Cliff with his recommendation). This is one of my greatest memories and life experiences.



Recently, I've felt obligated to give American Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskeys a chance. I also need to get to work on Japanese Whiskeys (8+ trips and yet to try). So this weekend I will take a tour out of Louisville, KY and get started on the Bourbon Trail. Stay Tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment