Thursday, February 22, 2018

22 February - Johannesburg, SA - Sick on the Road...

Scary story: I got sick. With what? I don't know. How? Still a mystery. The worst part...I was about 6,000 miles from home and my doctor.

Around the second week of my work trip, I started getting really bad headaches and fever. I tried to power through Monday's work with some ibuprofen but it just got worse. Eventually, I found myself bedridden for the next 3 days.


I had a few co-workers cover my class remotely as best as they could. I went to an emergency room.


They gave me an IV and pumped me full of some fever meds. The doctor ran a few tests. One of the blood tests gave a hint that my liver enzymes were at a level of 600 (forget the measure- I registered 60 last year for FLD, and normal is <20). In the end, the doctor wrote me a prescription for some Tamiflu (useless + nausea-inducing) and an antibiotic. 


I survived. Maybe I was just being a giant man baby, but I felt like I got pretty close to death on this trip. That would have sucked. For someone who gets all his shots/vaccinations, this was a really scary experience. I lost 12# in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment