Saturday, August 22, 2020

21 Aug 2020 - Irvine, California, USA - 5 years a Californian

 





As I get older, time seems to move faster. I am not sure how five years have passed since I said farewell to my father, jumped in my car, and drove from Ohio to California. At the time I was just chasing good weather and the opportunity to be outside more. I was also taking a massive financial risk with no guarantees that I would survive the expensive and competitive west coast tech market. 

Well, things seemed to have worked out so far. I was able to work with my employer to show my value to the company and gain a needed cost of living adjustment. My technologist skillset is in high demand and my willingness to learn new things has been a boon. I've managed to lose 20 lbs and keep it off (need to get rid of another 40 permanently too). I've found love and heartbreak.

I still cringe every time I pay my rent; moreover, it is something that is definitely not sustainable in the long run (10 years+). The politics here still make me uncomfortable. I love that there is more care for the environment. But I don't love the concept of big government bureaucracy and high taxes.

As I continue my life here, I need to constantly perform a cost/benefit analysis. Maybe someday I will end up leaving. For now, there is a balance that I can tolerate so I stay.


The good:

  • Nature
    • Beaches
    • Mountains
    • Forests
    • Deserts
  • Weather - Mediterranean Climate
    • Active Lifestyle

The bad:


1 comment: