Monday, April 13, 2015

13 April 2015 - Exploring Kiev (Kiyv), Ukraine - Part 2

Still fresh with some jet lag, I was determined to go exploring. With the help of the hotel front desk, I had a map and a few Ukrainian phrases at my disposal. Today's goal is to get to Olympic rail station and visit a few landmarks. My first stop was a nearby cathedral. I love this kind of architecture.


Next, I continued on until I found the underground station. It used these weird little green plastic tokens.




Next stop, Maidan Nezalezhnosti, a.k.a. Independence Square, where just over a year ago there was a violent revolution. Some of my more globally informed coworkers and friends actually questioned my sanity for taking this trip based on last year's event. It is safe for now and, in spite of its history, a rather beautiful place. 





I continued walking until I found St. Michael's Gold Domed Monastery. Then I walked to the overlook of Volodymyrska Hill with a great view of the Dnieper river. 



Shortly thereafter, I continued on to St. Andrew's Church. This church is a wonderful 18th-century baroque church sitting on a hill overlooking one of Kiev's oldest neighborhoods.



No comments:

Post a Comment