Monday, June 27, 2016

24 June 2016 - Rio de Janero, Brazil - Part 2


There are so many things to do in Rio that one post would not do the place justice. Continuing my tour day my next stop (and most important to me) was a visit to Sugarloaf Mountain (Portugese: Pão de Açúcar)This tour involves 4 cable car rides to the top and back. Arriving at the base of the mountains I was thrilled to notice all the mountain climbers. Maybe I should start that sport again. Rock climbing has given me one of the greatest gifts of my life: a deeper understanding of my own mortality, ability to overcome fear, and greater freedom to choose my paths in life.


I took a ride up to the first hill. There are some shops, restaurants, and plenty of hiking. I enjoyed an an açie smoothie with banana + kiwi. Next, I took some great photos and selfies. In addition, I also admired some climbing groups that I will have to look up on my next trip here.





They had a few older cars displayed, including the style used in the James Bond film.



After about 20 minutes I continued my journey to the second peak. At first I was a little worried it was just an observation deck. Instead, they've built a tiered garden on the east facing side that goes down about 40-50 meters. It made for some fun hiking. There are signs everywhere saying don't feed the monkeys...and lots of tourists were feeding the monkeys.





Here is a nice Pano of the main parts of South Rio...



After a few more moments of exploring the top, I started my journey back to the bottom of the mountain. At the bottom, I wandered over to a local beach called Praia Vermelha (I believe the translation is Red Beach). This very expensive neighborhood, named Urca, is very protective of the state park, trails, mountains, and beaches. They do not allow super markets and big developers to build here, for example.



After all that hiking I was starting to feel rather famished. How do the Brazilians feast? At a Churrascaria (aka BBQ buffet aka Brazilian Steakhouse), of course! When the tour started, our guide had said something about a buffet. All morning long I was worrying about cheap chinese buffets that usually end in indigestion and shame. As we arrived my fear turned to joy. I only eat at this type of restaurant about 1 or 2 times a year. I usually consider it a marathon gastronomical event requiring pacing and being picky about what you try...then ending in indigestion and shame.


Stay tuned for part three...off to visit the Cristo Redentor...

No comments:

Post a Comment