Saturday, July 6, 2019

6 July 2019 - Cleveland National Forest, California, USA

This year I kind of skipped out on the 4th of July. I'd already gotten my firework fix back in may at EDC. Something I have been wanting to do more frequently is to go Car Camping. It is a halfway point between backpacking and full-on RV camping. I still prefer to camp in a tent or hammock but I love the convenience of having a car to carry heavier gear and a place to lock away valuables. As luck would have it the girlfriend's schedule allowed for a full weekend off for the first time in a month or two. Being a holiday weekend we were not sure how lucky we would be at finding someplace what wasn't already full. All the State Beach campgrounds I wanted were booked. So we made a plan to drive the Ortega Highway and test our luck with some of the First Come First Serve campgrounds. We found a few empty spots at the Bluejay Campground!


Selecting a spot was easy. I paid the $20 fee and then we set up camp. It was still really nice out so we decided to explore a local trail (San Juan).



After a few miles of hiking out and back, we returned to camp to enjoy the sunset. As the light waned the temperatures got cooler. I started a fire, being extra cautious with the dry California brush. At all times I had a 2-gallon fire bucket of water and another 3 gallons of drinking water nearby.



As the day ended we were presented with a lovely sunset (and eventually some nice stars).



No comments:

Post a Comment