Sunday, October 1, 2017

1 October 2017 - Ireland, EU/UK

It has been about 5 years since I have last been on the island. The previous trip in 2012 was a small idea I voiced during my mom's wedding in 2011. I was actually joking about a Cannon/McKay family trip at the time. However, when my uncle Don called me in February of the next year, it became a reality. It ended up being a great time, touring Dublin, Cliffs of Moher, and Galway. There was one key place I did not get to see in 2012 due to an impending business trip.

Today, due to another business trip I find myself in Ireland again. I arrived a day early to try and fight jet lag (typing this at 1am Monday morning...sigh). I drove for 2.5 hours from Dublin, through Belfast, and strait to the Giant's Causeway (50million year old Lava Formation). My mom and uncle had sent me some photos from the last trip so I've wanted to see it myself. It did not disappoint!







On sheer accident, I didn't realize how close the Giant's Causeway was to the town of Bushmills. I am embarrassed to call myself a whisky aficionado because it is home to one of the most famous Irish distilleries in the world. Yes, I've toured Jameson in Dublin, but my Scotch snobbery left me not thinking of this place. Of course I had to stop and take a tasting tour...






It was an excellent end to a good day and a long weekend of travel. I'm now thinking about a certain set of Bourbon Distilleries I have to still visit in Kentucky. Nevertheless, I feel ready to take on the work week ahead.

As for the flight back to LAX and running of the Long Beach Half Marathon next weekend...well... baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment