Saturday, January 9, 2016

2016 Disney World Marathon Weekend Part 4 - Half

Saturday - Half Marathon

Now the distance is starting to get serious! Yes, I know this statement is subjective to your training level and state of mind. I've completed about a dozen half marathons over the last few years. It is a distance that I really enjoy. This is probably the most popular race of the weekend with many making it their first half marathon ever.The start corrals went all the way from A through P. I was happily back in section J. It was a half mile walk from the parking lot to the support area and then another half mile walk to the starting line.



After hearing the same start 9 times, our group was ready to go. There were a large number of Galloway Run/Walk/Run practitioners. At first it became an annoying traffic jam eventually I "Let it Go" (hate that song) and just went with whatever the crowd's pace was. This race took us up to and through the Magic Kingdom. They had the Castle all lit up.





After the Magic Kingdom (about mile 6 complete) the next 6 miles were boring road. I felt good with my pace. Around mile 10 I started to see the newbies hitting the wall...been there, done that, this is why I train for 35+ weeks before one of these events.

The final mile was a short run through the front gates of Epcot. This is where I got my favorite photo of the race. I pride myself on striking a post on most roller coasters when I know where the camera is...my race photos usually stink.



 In the end I finished the Half Marathon smiling and still feeling great. Later on, however, for the first time this week I would start to feel a little sore...a terrifying sensation when you have a marathon to run the next day. I little ice and lots of rest and relaxation on the couch was my plan for the rest of the day.








No comments:

Post a Comment