Monday, October 10, 2016

10 October 2016 - Hiroshima - Japan Vacation Part 8

After a few days in Kyoto, we took a day trip to Hiroshima. I've not been back here since 2009, at the time I rode the train for 5 hours, walked to the peace memorial, then went strait back to Tokyo. I didn't realize one of the most famous shrines (photograph) in Japan was located here.

The Itsukushima Shrine is located on an Island on the south west side of the city. It takes about 30 minutes by train, then another 15 minutes by ferry to travel there. It takes about an hour if Eric reads the signs wrong and takes you to the other side of the city.








David was especially eager to visit the Peace Memorial, trying to fulfil a dream/goal for his grandfather who served in WW2. Personally, while I view this place as historically important, it is really one of the saddest graveyards in the world. Therefore, I am not a fan of heading there as it always makes me feel sad. While sitting across from the dome, I watched a youtube video from the history channel on the event. It made me cry. I understand that the event ended the war but I also do not ever want it to happen again. (History tends to show that War Never Changes).



No comments:

Post a Comment