Monday, September 26, 2016

26 September 2016 - Asakusa, Tokyo - Japan Vacation Part 1

I spent my first 3 days alone in my usual spot. Asakusa is a district in the Taito ward of the Metropolis of Tokyo. I discovered a few good hostels here during a trip in 2009. Hotels in Tokyo are expensive, usually around $300 a night. While I can budget, save, and afford such accommodations, I prefer staying at Hostels for 1/10th the price and avoid the opportunity cost. Less money spent on lodging means more money for exploring and experiences.

My first stop, a bit of a tourist trap, is almost always the Sensō-ji (金龍山浅草寺) temple, one of the oldest ones in Tokyo. Why this place? It is really beautiful architecture as well as some fun history and shopping.


After walking around the temple for a little while, I continued down to the Sumida river.


I'd already made contact with Zach, a friend who works as a Missionary in Japan. In a few more days my next friend, artist David, would arrive. My hope was to get over Jet Lag as soon as possible so I could better guide David on his first time in a very foreign place.

Up next, a day in Akiba...(see part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment