Saturday, March 11, 2017

11 Mar 2017 - Puerto Rico - day 3

We started the day with a visit to the city of Ponce. The first stop was Castillo Serrallés. This mansion was built in 1930 and belonged to Sugar industry leader Don Juan Eugenio Serrallés. The Location also features a Japanese Garden, Butterfly display, and Large Cross.









Next, we drove down to Paseo Tablado La Guancha, a fun little boardwalk good for food and people watching. I tried out an empanadilla snack (think empanada + quesadilla) and chased it with a beer. It was peaceful looking out to the ocean.





I had to be back in San Juan before 5pm so I could pick up my race packet for the next day. My friend surprised me with a stop along the way at Guavate. I love pig roasts! Every time I am on a tropical island I feel obligated to enjoy BBQ. This road, state route 184, winds into the mountainous terrain and about every kilometer you will fine a Lechonera. Not only is the food amazing but there is also lots of live music and good beer.




With a food coma in place, we returned to San Juan. My friend dropped me at my hotel and said fare well. I located the Race registration, got my free shirt and bib, then decided to go for a swim in the lagoon. I have to say, this was a good day!





Race pose...


No comments:

Post a Comment