Friday, May 27, 2016

27 May 2016 - What is your favorite?

I am often asked, with all my travel, what is my favorite location?

The challenging part about this question for me is that there are a bunch of places I like to be. Worse yet, as I discover new places the current favorite often changes. It also depends on what you mean by the word favorite. Is it a question of where I want to live? Or do you mean Vacation?



To help me keep my sanity I have managed to narrow down my list to a top three (or five). Over time I have also noticed a pattern. First, I like places that are close to the mountains. Next, I like places that are close to the ocean or other large body of water. Optionally, I like finding a perfect 60-70 degrees F (15-20C). Finally, I have to have a dual sense of adventuresome excitement and nature induced calm. Here is a current list of my top places (click the links if you want a picture):


  1. Southern California, USA
  2. Scotland, UK
  3. Anchorage, Alaska, USA
  4. Fujikawaguchiko, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan
  5. Puerto Rico, USA
So, why these locations?

1.  I moved there, live there when not traveling, and if I ever end up homeless I have a future of being a beach bum all planned out.

2. The freedom of wearing a kilt, the sound of the Bag Pipes, Real Scotch Wisky (best single malt in the world), and the amazing Bens (mountains) - Glens (valleys) - Lochs (lakes)

3. The mountains in the distance, the taste of grilled Halibut/Salmon fresh caught, and endless wilderness to explore.

4. Mt Fuji, 5 amazing lakes, and Japanese Food!

5. Caribbean breezes/beaches. Mojitos (best Rum in the World), Music!

Now are these places perfect? No, every place has it faults. SoCal is overpopulated and expensive, Scotland has a dark side (see Trainspotting), Anchorage has winter, Japan has been in recession for nearly 3 decades, and Puerto Rico's local economy is tanking. However, I feel it is a waste of time to focus on the negative.

I have learned that I can actually be happy anywhere in the world if I choose to take a positive attitude. These places require much less effort on my part to maintain that choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment