Tuesday, May 31, 2016

31 May 2016 - Fort William, Scotland UK

I woke up early, hiked up the hill to the Upper Tyndrum train station, and for 18GBP took a ride towards Fort William. Once again I was in for another beautiful ride through the highlands.





I chose this town completely at random not knowing what I would find there. It turned out to be a surprise paradise! Its right on the back side of Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in the UK. Fort William has the slogan of the "Outdoor Capital of the World". I fancy myself an outdoors man, challenge accepted.

I ended up staying at a 100GBP per night hotel so this was an expensive stop. For the first time during this long trip I am starting to run out of clean cloths. The front desk recommended a laundrette in a nearby town of Caol, about 2-3 miles away. Once again, I discovered another hiking trail, the Great Glen Way , about a 70 mile hike from Fort William to Inverness.





Once I made it over to to Caol I found the laundromat. While I was waiting on the wash I bought some food, walked down to the beach, and had a picnic. Here is a panoramic photo...that still doesn't do the beauty of this place justice.


After my laundry was complete I walked back to my hotel for a short break. On the walk back I discovered that I had completely missed an ancient Scottish Castle, Inverlochey. This is one of my favorite parts of visiting this part of the UK.


To end my wonderful day I took a walk into the downtown of Fort William and got a better view of the boats out in the Loch Eil.


No comments:

Post a Comment