Thursday, September 13, 2018

13 September 2018 - Fujikawaguchiko, Japan - Part 3

So I had to cancel my visit to Hokkaido. This required some serious last minute planning and booking. I decided to explore to the northwest, starting with the resort town of Fujikawaguchiko. I was so stressed about the rescheduling that I needed a few days of hiking and onsens to relax. While I have been to this place before, it still makes me happy. It takes about an hour by train to get here.


There is a nearby set of trails that I have been wanting to try out for a few years. It starts behind the Tenzozan Park, a gondola fed temple/restaurant/giftshop high on the side of Mt. Tenjo-San. I still don't understand the story of the rabbit and raccoon here.



According to the signs, the trail to the top of Mitsotage-San is a 6 hour round trip. I took my day pack, a rain shell, and some tea and juice (hydration) and gave it a go.




The trail was long. However, after about 3 hours of hiking, I finally made it to the summit of Mitsutoge. Too bad it clouded over. There were these quaint mountain huts that had beds for rent. What a great idea! I did find it mildly entertaining that there were beverage vending machines at the top of this mountain.



I took solace in my achievement (both distances hiked and altitude gained). I love the mountains almost as much as I love the ocean. I hiked back down the other side of the ridge following a service road. You would need a serious 4x4 to get up this beast. I think I may of overexerted myself as my final few miles were very sore. I know how to solve this problem. I hot bowl of Japanese Ramen and a visit to the hot baths of an Onsen.



To Be Continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment