Monday, September 17, 2018

17 September 2018 - Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan - Part 6

Today, I arrived for a few days of exploring the city of Kanazawa. I'd like to say it makes me think of a miniature Kyoto. It has some serious historic charm and context. As I departed the Shinkansen station I was greeted by a rather interesting archway...



After checking into my hostel I walked a few blocks to explore Omicho Market. This is a traditional Japanese seafood market similar (yet less crowded) than Tokyo and Kyoto's versions. You can see numerous stalls of stores and restaurants. I enjoyed some fresh sushi from a local shop here.




After lunch, I walked east to find the Higashi Chaya district. This historic area contains a number of former Geisha houses. Most of the buildings are now shops and restaurants.



Next, I hiked over to the Kanazawa Castle. Once again I wanted to learn more about Japanese architecture; moreover, there is some amazing wood joinery here to explore. The original castle dates back to 1580, but most of it has been burnt down and replaced. The current restoration is based off the 1871 history.



I finished my tours with a walk through the Kenroku-en Gardens. It is one of the top 3 gardens in Japan. I enjoyed a snack at one of the local tea houses and took my time on a relaxing walk. I'd like to visit this garden again someday.




No comments:

Post a Comment