Friday, September 14, 2018

14 September 2018 - Matsumoto, Japan - Part 4

With one week remaining of my vacation, now was the time to challenge my language skills and go somewhere new (to me). The further away from big cities like Tokyo you go, the less English you will find.

I took a train with the goal of heading to the Hakuba Alps in Nagano, home of the 1998 winter Olympics. Along the way, I had to switch from the JR Chuo line to the JR Oito line in the town of Matsumoto. Since my next train did not depart for a few hours, I decided to explore a local castle.



After about 15 minutes of walking, I found the castle grounds. This is a smaller castle but has a nice park surrounding it. I took a tour of the castle. The concept of Japanese Wood Joinery is something the creative part of me finds absolutely fascinating. By cutting wood into unique shapes and fitting them tightly together without nails or screws, these buildings can stand for centuries.




Outside the Castle, the local park was bustling with a beer festival. I enjoyed myself a libation and found some Takoyaki (fried octopus balls). What a great day!



Onward to Hakuba...


No comments:

Post a Comment