Monday, September 10, 2018

10 September 2018 - Tokyo, Japan - Part 1

Somewhere around July 4th there was a sale on Delta.com for Asia travel. While I had not planned a trip to Japan, the price of a round trip ticket popped up as $760. Having seen recent prices in a range of 1200-1500 I just couldn't resist. So...おかえりなさい (Okaerinasai - Welcome Back).


My big plans for this trip include a little time in Tokyo to visit friends and then potentially my first visit to Hokkaido, the north island of the nation. That might not happen however due to recent earthquakes and landslides in that area. I remember my first trip to Japan over a decade ago. At that time it was scary and full of culture shock. Now, at this point in my life, it feels very familiar.



While I am here in Tokyo I think the time has come to do the Go-Go Curry World Champion eating challenge. It consists of 2.5kg of rice/curry, cabbage salad, 2 pork cutlets, 4 jumbo shrimp, 4 hot dogs, and some hard-boiled eggs. It costs about $25 and there isn't much of a time limit (some people have finished in less than 4 mins...some have taken as long as 90mins)


Well, my friends, it didn't go as well as I had hoped. I had a good strong start but after 38 minutes called off the stunt to avoid participating in a public health emergency. The first half of the dish was pure junk food bliss, but the rest was just salty/greasy suffering.



Seriously, I can eat a lot of food. This dish (and maybe jet lag) humbled me this day. To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment